Undo/redo history broken?

Bug Reports and Fixes
alta88

Undo/redo history broken?

Post by alta88 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:38 pm

hi,

since the exclipse xul editor can't do simple things like select/move text or shift source, i use spket. but: it seems edit change history doesn't work, either only a very few are saved or sometimes none. and certainly nothing after a save. the default editor seems to work fine with this.. for js this is pretty important so i have to use the default js editor.

any ideas?

eric_suen
Site Admin

Post by eric_suen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:52 pm

I can't product this bug, what is your OS, java version, and Eclipse version? Is there any error in the logs?

alta88

Post by alta88 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:29 pm

eric_suen wrote:I can't product this bug, what is your OS, java version, and Eclipse version? Is there any error in the logs?
winxp sp2, jre1.6._10, eclipse 3.4.

there are errors like this, perhaps related.. though no CTRL+Z or Y.

Code: Select all

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2008-10-31 16:16:40.204
!MESSAGE Keybinding conflicts occurred.  They may interfere with normal accelerator operation.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2008-10-31 16:16:40.204
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for CTRL+SHIFT+F:
Binding(CTRL+SHIFT+F,
	ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.jdt.ui.edit.text.java.format,Format,
		Format the selected text,
		Category(org.eclipse.jdt.ui.category.source,Source,Java Source Actions,true),
		org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.console.JavaStackTracePageParticipant$1@119528b,
		,,true),null),
	org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
	org.eclipse.jdt.ui.javaEditorScope,,,system)
Binding(CTRL+SHIFT+F,
	ParameterizedCommand(Command(com.spket.ui.edit.text.format,Format,
		Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.textEditor,Text Editing,Text Editing Commands,true),
		LegacyHandlerWrapper(ActionHandler(action=org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.TextOperationAction@17a295e)),
		,,true),null),
	com.spket.ui.textEditScope,,,system)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2008-10-31 16:16:40.204
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for CTRL+2 R:
Binding(CTRL+2 R,
	ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.jdt.ui.correction.renameInFile.assist,Quick Assist - Rename in file,
		Invokes quick assist and selects 'Rename in file',
		Category(org.eclipse.jdt.ui.category.source,Source,Java Source Actions,true),
		,,true),null),
	org.eclipse.jdt.ui.javaEditorScope,,,system)

eric_suen
Site Admin

Post by eric_suen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:25 am

Is your Eclipse installed fresh or upgrade from an old version? do you have other plugins installed? I have Eclipse 3.4.1 and Spket installed, don't have any keybinding conflicts.

alta88

Post by alta88 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:10 pm

3.4 was a fresh install, however updating to 3.4.1 just now seems to have eliminated the keybinding errors. but the problem remains.

i'm using the spket xml editor to edit .xul files (xul editor doesn't do source shift). on just the addition of a single space, undo is still disabled.

i have only xulbooster, mercurial eclipse, extended vs presentation, and spket plugins (and some eclipse stuff like wtp and eclipse xml editor).

eric_suen
Site Admin

Post by eric_suen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:08 pm

I only have Eclipse 3.4 and Spket installed, don't have this issue, what's mean "xul editor doesn't do source shift", because Spket XUL editor is extended from Spket XML editor. are you sure you are using Spket XML editor? just select the file in Explorer, click mouse right button, in context menu, choose "Open With...", make sure the item "Spket XML Editor" is checked.

BTW, have you tried Spket standalone version, does it has the same issue?

alta88

Post by alta88 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:49 pm

ok, i've uninstalled a few things, the most relevant seeming to be the Eclipse XUL Editors from the Ganymede repo and redo seems to work better in a brief test. so - is spket incompatible with Eclipse XUL? shouldn't be..

also, if i open a .xul file with the spket .xul editor (yes, i'm choosing the right editor) there is no source shift (menu items disabled). i need to use the .xml editor.

i haven't uninstalled the Eclipse Javascript Dev Tools because i don't really want to redo all those prefs. their JS tools also has a menuitem Source w/shift etc that only applies to .js files, dont' know if this affects spket but it sure shouldn't.

do you inherit from Text Editors? there is an undo history pref there. if not it seems like you should, for all spket editors..

anyway, the editor situation in Eclipse natively is quite ridiculous overall, basic things don't work. if spket isn't compatible with the Eclipse editors (plugins) then you should state so. of course, then your editors would (for each type) have to be better so people wouldn't need to mix/match ;)

for extension dev, there are many file types, so this is an issue. since you don't have a .css editor one has to (well it would be nice to not use .xul etc for that type) get potentially conflicting packages..

thanks for your help.

eric_suen
Site Admin

Post by eric_suen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:06 am

Hmm, I installed WTP and I see the issue, but obviously this is WTP issue, even if you haven't install Spket, create a xml file, using WTP XML editor input some text, save and close it, then open it using Eclipse default "Text Editor", the undo/redo is not working anymore, It is WTP not compatible with the Eclipse editors, not Spket.

alta88

Post by alta88 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 pm

aha. well, looks like WTP is going in the trash then.. (i noticed your comment in the newsgroup from several years ago about undo!)

thanks again for the excellent support. perhaps spket can come out with .rdf/.css/.htm editors.

alta88

Post by alta88 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:03 pm

argh, spket js editor doesn't have code line level bookmarks.. so the ones set via WTP can't be removed. and is the Toggle Break point an effective and proper way to do bookmarks in spket?

eric_suen
Site Admin

Post by eric_suen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:16 am

see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=671